60 Seconds with National Defence and Canadian Forces Ombudsman Gary Walbourne
Video / November 17, 2016
Gary Walbourne: Ombudsman, Ombudsman, Ombudsman.
Off camera: See, you’ve got it down.
Gary Walbourne: It took two and a half years to practice.
Good morning. I am Gary Walbourne. I’m the Ombudsman for the Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence and I’m here for the 60 Second challenge.
- Why is the role of the Ombudsman important?
The role of the Ombudsman is important cause we’re here to ensure fairness for all the members of the community.
- What three words best describe the office of the Ombudsman?
Hmm, fair, firm and fun.
- What is the main function your office performs?
Our office is here to ensure fairness for all members of the Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence. I got two.
- Coffee or tea?
They still make tea?
- If you won the lottery what’s the first thing you would do?
I would retire.
- Tell us an interesting fun fact about you.
Hmm, interesting fun fact: I like the outdoors more than I like the indoors.
- What are your hobbies?
Outdoor activities: kayaking, biking, boating, all those things.
- What has been the most rewarding work experience of your career?
I would have to say without a doubt, this position has been the most rewarding so far.
Off camera: Great job!
Gary Walbourne: Phew! Glad I didn’t get to that one.
- Date modified: