Applications for Initial Issue and Replacement of Service Medals, Individual Honours For Retired CF Members and Civilians

The following document is available for downloading or viewing:

This application form may only be used by retired members of the CAF to apply for the initial issue or replacement of medals administered by the Department of National Defence, Directorate of Honours and Recognition (DH&R).

Only the Executor of the Estate or Power of Attorney can make an application on behalf of a deceased member of the CAF.

Serving members of the CAF shall not use this form (their unit shall apply on-line on their behalf in accordance with procedures detailed in CANFORGEN 106/00).

Serving members of the CAF wishing more information (i.e. eligibility, policies, directives, etc) are to consult DH&R's DIN site prior to submitting any inquiries through their Chain of Command.

Civilian employees and other non-military personnel who believe they might be eligible for a medal should always apply through their employing organization’s honours and awards representative.

For further information on campaign and service medals, please consult our Honours Chart.


Print, complete and sign this application form and send it by mail only to DH&R. To speed up the review of your application, you are requested to provide a copy of documentary proof of service. There are no fees for initial issue of medals.

FOR REPLACEMENT ONLY – Do not send payment with your application. You will be contacted by DH&R at a later date for the exact amount to be submitted once a determination has been made. Please note that a Money Order or Bank Draft made out to the Receiver General for Canada may be required. Personal cheques are not accepted.

Applications are processed on a first-come first-serve basis from receipt of the application and some delays may be expected. For assistance in completing this form, clarification on eligibility or requesting an update to your application, you may contact DH&R at 1-877-741-8332 (toll free Mon-Fri 0800-1600 Eastern Time) or via email at

Related Links

To submit a nomination or request replacement of insignia for Canadian orders, decorations and commemorative medals, or to apply for the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal for Korea (CVSMK), contact the Chancellery of Honours at Rideau Hall, toll free at 1-800-465-6890 or write to:

Chancellery of Honours
Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa ON  K1A 0A1

To apply for or obtain replacement of Second World War medals as well as those related to the Korean conflict (with the exception of the CVSMK), contact Veterans Affairs Canada via email at, toll free at 1-866-522-2122 or write to:

Honours and Awards
Veterans Affairs Canada
66 Slater Street, Suite 1411
Ottawa ON  K1A 0P4

To obtain information from a military service file or a statement of military service, contact Library and Archives Canada (toll free) at 1-866-578-7777 or write to:

Library and Archives Canada
Personnel Record Unit (PRU)
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa ON  K1A 0N3

To obtain a CAF service pin, contact the Release and Benefits Administration (RBA) by email at, or write to:

Release Benefits Administration (RBA)
National Defence Headquarters
MGen George R. Pearkes Building 
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa ON  K1A 0K2

If you are a retired member of the Regular or Reserve Force, you can apply for a CF One military identification card through the Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services website.

Date modified: